Psalm 146:2 "I will praise the LORD all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live."

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Idle Words And Euphemisms

Hi Everyone,

Disclaimer and Warning: The following post contains some words of a euphemistic nature that might be slightly offensive to some based on how you grew up or what your personal convictions are. These words are NOT SAID in any way to mean anything derogatory or to "encourage or commend their use." But rather, they are meant to be strictly as examples, and the intent of this post is certainly NOT to cause anyone to stumble----so if you feel it may bother you, please do refrain from reading it. I am just posting this as something to make us all (MYSELF included) think about why and what we say at times. I realize that some people may have almost no issues with this, while others of us do to varying degrees----and that everyone has their own personal convictions before God. If this is the first post you've ever read, I recommend you to read a few of the other ones first BEFORE reading this one. Thank you, and please know it is not my intention to offend anyone by the content below.

A euphemism is "a substitution of an expression that may offend or suggest something unpleasant to the receiver with an agreeable or less offensive expression, or to make it less troublesome for the speaker." (Wikipedia definition)

So while I was in Mexico, I was having separate conversations with a few different people at a few different points. We were basically discussing how "acceptable" euphemistic talk has become in Christian circles--it is like we have absorbed it from our culture and world system around us without giving it much thought. AND I AM JUST AS GUILTY Of THIS!!! (I've messed up at least twice today that I can recall.....and was quite convicted about it.)

We tend to use euphemistic words, sometimes out of a lack of knowing how to express our emotion, other times out of shock of what we have just heard, or for other reasons. We may pride ourselves in NOT "having a swearing problem" like those who don't know God in the world around us! But are we substituting other "lighter" words that mean the exact same thing, (or close to it) that they are saying??? And Why do we do so? Each person has to answer that question in each situation for themselves, because there may be different reasons in each case. Let's talk about this!

I think we have all been around long enough to know that "shoot" really means something else. as does "darn" or "heck." So should we as believers be saying these types of euphemism's? Do they give glory to God? Are they idle words left better to be left unsaid all together?

Now, "heck" which really is a euphemistic word for "hell" is not so much that the word "hell" is a "bad word" in and of itself. It IS a word used in the Bible to explain where those who die in their sins apart from trusting in Christ's death and resurrection on their behalf in their place will go when they die--which IS NOT a nice thought! But it is the truth! We shouldn't be sharing the gospel without making that gently yet firmly clear. But, it depends on how the word is used and in what context. Obviously telling someone to "go there" is a HORRIBLE STATEMENT THAT SHOULD NEVER Be SAID AS THE WORLD OFTEN USES IT IN ANGER. If people knew the eternal ramifications of "hell" in the world, I don't believe they would be saying that!!!

But what about "gee" or "gees" that have their reference to Jesus Christ?? is that still using His name in a disrespectful and "flippant" manner? I{ sort of tend to think so.

What about expressions like "Oh my Word!" (Does that have reference to the Word of God?) or "Oh my goodness!" (Is that somehow related to defaming the goodness of God in some way?)

What makes a bad word a bad word?

Obviously it is a matter of some personal conviction, but I guess the bottom line is that it comes down to a matter of the heart for each of us! Why are we saying what we are saying? Does it bring glory to God? Is it idle or even "slightly inappropriate speech" that we could do without? Let's ask God about it!...and seek with the Spirit of God's help to leave aside the things that we become convinced of that offend the Lord, regardless of if everyone else around us "says it or not!"

I don't want to be legalistic about it either. But honestly sometimes we need an expression to relay the shock and sadness of what we have just heardm because life isn't easy down here at times.

However, a fellow co-worker and I were talking about this subject and this person said a quote to me-not sure who said it-I will do my best to ask to give the proper credit. But the quote was along the lines of, "You can tell a culture's 'god' by the types of profane words they use."

Wow! How insightful! What are our "words" related to? many times they are related to "bathroom talk" and "sex." not as GOD intended it!) Are those some of the 'god's' of our world and American culture? I tend to think so!

And might I add that it is SO HARD to find decent movies that don't have all of that JUNK in them--or it s sad when a movie is decent but strings of inappropriate words or inuendos get thrown in and they have NOTHING to do with the movie--I mean it would have been fine without them!!!

But how many times a day do I say things that would be better left unsaid? OUCH!!! Lord help us to be careful and glorify you with our thoughts and our speech!

Luke 6:45 "The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks."

Psalm 19:14 "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer."

No comments: