Psalm 146:2 "I will praise the LORD all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live."

Monday, August 30, 2010

Refer To Me As I am.....

Hi Everyone,

The following post is not written out of anger, or even at any specific current situation in particular. It is just something that I have personally wanted to express for quite awhile. So just keep all of that in mind and take this as me saying it gently in love to whoever would happen to read it. I am not trying to accuse anyone or anything like that, and I mean that, so please don't take it that way. Thank you.

A few days ago, I wrote a blog post about "idle speech and Euphemism's." I discussed "euphemism's" in regard to words we would probably be better not saying (and by the way, Yes, I am honestly still working on that and God is still working on me in that area---unfortunately, I haven't arrived yet!

But today I'd like to share about something a little more personal about a different type of euphemism. It is something I have dealt with my whole life. Now let me also say, truthfully by typing this that the Lord has done a great work in my life regarding healing this area----things do not bother me quite like they used to, but yet it is an area where I still am and probably always will be a little bit sensitive, because it is an are where much damage was done. (And I am NOT saying that so people feel sorry for me or anything--I am just making you aware.)

1 Samuel 16:7 says, But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

God looks at our hearts.

Now, what I want to say is that being someone that was a miracle premature baby (like many others in the world) left me with some obvious physical affects from that whole process.....which now I see as something God get's glory through. However, I have lived a life where much of the world honestly looks at the outside, and on a fairly regular basis (not normally from brothers and sisters in Christ, but from the world) where not a week goes by where I won't get comments like "What's WRONG with you?" or even things like "Are you handicapped?" Or even the lady on the bus this morning, I think that meant well, but felt it was her duty to announce it to the rest of the bus passengers at the top of her lungs, "How's your SIGHT??," and then so many eyes were turned right towards me. (Thankfully, it didn't bother me too much!) Please don't feel sorry for me--I am just giving examples of real life and what happens.

I know the world values me by what they perceive i can and can't do-and they are WRONG BECAUSE MY VALUE AND WORTH IS FOUND IN JESUS CHRIST REGARDLESS OF, ACCORDING TO THEM, WHAT I "CAN OR CAN'T DO."

Even though I truly KNOW my value is in Jesus and that it is what HE THINKS OF ME THAT REALLY MATTERS, I have something to honestly say!

I hate euphemism's. And by talking about euphesmisms, I am talking about the ones that I get called both by the world, and sometimes well-meaning people that don't know how to talk about my physical way that I was allowed in God's wisdom to be created.

I don't like being grouped with other people, regardless of their physical issues or anything else! I am an individual. I am JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE!!! I have mind, emotions, will, intellect, and a body that for the most part the Lord has graciously allowed to have work VERY WELL!! And I am THANKFUL for that!!! I do NOT like the words, "different," "handicapped." "disabled," "limited," (even if I am in some ways!), "retarded," or "having something WRONG with me." I don't even like the word "special" because over the years it became this "gentle" way of saying something "is wrong" with me. "having physical challenges" is a slightly acceptable expression because it is true---I DO have some! So I don't care for the euphemistic words that get used to try to "define" me!! And I am not sure, but I am sure that anyone else that has something physically challenging might feel somewhat similar, but you should not just assume what they feel.

But the physical state of my body DOES NOT DEFINE ME!! May the Lord never allow this, even but if every limb of me was amputated, I would still be of great value---and NOT a throw-away-because I am created in God's image and I am HIS DAUGHTER AND I BELONG TO HIM!!!

So sometimes it gets tiring when the world wants to know what is WRONG with me before they would ever dare to ask me my name or something about me as a person. And if they ask me about me, I am probably going to end up telling them about Jesus, because Him and I are inseperable!

But PLEASE PLEASE don't use those yucky euphemistic words to group me or anyone else. They hurt...even when my identity is in Jesus! I don't know what other people prefer. I can only speak for myself. Personally, if you want to discuss my physical stuff, just say I have 'slight cerebal palsy." We are adults...and we CAN call it what it is! It is really OK to do that--and it won't offend me as long as you speak kindly of it.

I am perfectly designed for God's purposes for my life.....and He did NOT mess up! Nor has He with all of those precious children that sadly get aborted!

And if you have used those "euphemistic words" in the past, it's OK---I really do sincerely forgive you. You don't have to come and apologize. I also recognize that from my part, I've never been so open about this before either, so I've never said what is OK or not OK to say. It is what happens when God heals you.

BUT GET TO KNOW ME FIRST IF YOU HAVEN'T...AND REALIZE I MAY NEED TO GET TO KNOW YOU TOO!!

Thank you so much for reading this.

No comments: