Psalm 146:2 "I will praise the LORD all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live."

Friday, October 8, 2010

Dealing With Anger

Hi Everyone,

James 1:19-21 "My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires. Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you."

Ephesians 4:25-27 "Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to his neighbor, for we are all members of one body. "In your anger do not sin"[d]: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold."

I would like to share a few thoughts about anger.

I have moments where I respond occasionally in ways that I shouldn't, but thankfully they are getting farther in between....I wish it didn't happen at all actually. Here are some things that I have noticed about anger.

1) When we get angry, (except on righteous anger) it may truly be that you or I are not doing what God desires of us.

2) Anger is many times a SECONDARY issue. By that I mean that there is usually something else PRIMARY going on underneath. Has my pride been hurt in some way? Did I feel rejected? Am I afraid of something? What am I NOT trusting God for? What expectation has not been met? Should that expectation really be met for my good? Is my anger just a response out of sin? Is it all about having "my way?"

I am learning to ask myself questions when I get on the verge of "getting set off" about something. IF I am able to figure out what I am really truly feeling, I am starting to find that I really have no reason to be angry, especially if it is of my old flesh.

3) If I am angry at a person for a particular reason, I have to remember that MY RELATIONSHIP WITH THEM IS MUCH MORE VALUABLE THAN WHAT I AM MOMENTARILY "UPSET" AT THEM FOR OR ABOUT!

4) Even in our moments of righteous anger, we must be extremely careful to NOT SIN!! (And we need to be honest before God and seek if it is truly righteous anger or not.)

5) Taking care of our anger in those moments before the day ends is critical---unresolved anger breeds hatred, bitterness, slander, and a whole host of other things that DO NOT please the Lord----and are not how we as children of the KING should be living!

We see "angry responses" all around us in the world but we are not to behave as the world does. It is actually quite sad to see how the world relates to one another--it breaks my heart--I DON'T want to be doing the same.

James 3:17-18 "But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness."

No comments: