Psalm 146:2 "I will praise the LORD all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live."

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Sharing The Gospel With Mexicans-Some Thoughts

Hi Everyone,

As I started my research for my cultural paper yesterday. I had a few thoughts regarding sharing the gospel with Mexicans. I was able to learn more about religious beliefs in the culture as a result of my talks with some different people yesterday. It was actually encouraging in the sense of learning more about what the people think and believe.

Pictured below is the virgin of Guadalupe. Many Mexicans believe this to be the mother of Jesus and they built a cathedral to her in Mexico city after she is said to have "appeared" to Juan Diego. The beliefs about her are highly cherished and ingrained into many people of the culture here.



I will be talking more about this at another point, but I wanted to share some thoughts about sharing the gospel with Mexicans.

_________________________________________________________
DON'T "go on the attack" about their beliefs. Doing so will not give you an opportunity to share the gospel very easily.

DON'T forget what your life was like before you knew Christ.

DON'T assume that just because you know what Catholics believe in another country or place in the world, don't assume that those beliefs are necessarily the same here. There are many different beliefs that people have here....a "whole mix" of things, and I'll be spending the rest of my life attempting to understand it all.

_________________________________________________________

DO share the gospel with GENTLENESS and RESPECT as God gives you opportunity

DO ask for God's perspective on how He sees the people you interact with daily. Remember how much He long to draw them to Himself and to a knowledge of the truth.

Do remember that Salvation is a work that the Holy Spirit does in hearts and lives and we can't try to usurp His role in that.

Do pray for the people that God has given you the privilege of being with.

No comments: