Psalm 146:2 "I will praise the LORD all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live."

Friday, September 24, 2010

Real Revival Begins With Repentance

Hi Everyone,

There is a lot of talk about revival today. Here are a few of my personal thoughts on the topic.

Sometimes when Revival is mentioned, there are things mentioned about the "warm fuzzy feeling"--if I can describe it that way, of "God's presence." I haven't researched this or anything, so maybe I am not the one to talk about it. But I tend to think it is the opposite---

Allow me to explain myself. I believe that genuine and real revival is going to start on a persona and individual level first--and begin with one thing--repentance-a change of mind towards one's sin and an awareness of how that sin truly offends God with a true desire to turn from it.....and at the beginning--that doesn't necessarily feel "good." But true revival isn't about "what we feel." It's about being aware of how GOD sees our hearts as they are laid bare before Him. It isn't about how everyone else perceives us when we are wearing our "spiritual "I have it all together and am the perfect Christian" mask, which is totally false, on!

Repentance cannot necessarily be measured by a ""level of emotion or tears--that may be part of it, but it also may not be-repentance is an issue of the HEART---just as our sin is, in reality, a heart issue.

The word, "Revival" does not appear to be used in Scripture--however, the word "revive" in English, at least appears to be used. I haven't had tons of time to study the passages below in their context, but here they are.

Psalm 80:18 "Then we will not turn away from you; revive us, and we will call on your name."

Psalm 85:6 "Will you not revive us again, that your people may rejoice in you?"

Isaiah 57:15 "For this is what the high and lofty One says— he who lives forever, whose name is holy: "I live in a high and holy place, but also with him who is contrite and lowly in spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and to revive the heart of the contrite."

Hosea 6:2 "After two days he will revive us; on the third day he will restore us, that we may live in his presence."

I believe the GREATEST "REVIVAL" that anyone can ever have is receiving the gift of salvation---KNOWING that you are God's child----forever---and living in the joy of that, but at the same time walking in continual obedience and taking your walk with God seriously--not straying from the truths of HIS Word. In Salvation, God takes a person who was dead in sin and separated from HIM (God) and gives the individual NEW LIFE---spiritually---a personal relationship with God.

There is a GREAT JOY and PEACE in walking with the Lord--I don't want to deny that--but sometimes the CLOSER you get to God, the worse you may "feel," at times, because we grow in an understanding of HIS HOLINESS AND OUR SINFULNESS.

It isn't about what we "feel" in the end. Revival is an issue of the heart.

Just some initial personal thoughts.....more on this at another time, Lord wiling.

1 comment:

Dan and Laura said...

Good thoughts, Crystal!