I am convinced that the way we communicate to others, whether Believers or not is so vitally important---we MUST be different than the world around us, if we are seeking to reflect Jesus Christ to one another and the world!
I am appalled and sad as I see how so many people interact with each other on a daily basis when I am in the grocery store, running errands, or whatever!
I HATE seeing parents cuss their young children up and down to speak, in the store! It is so inappropriate--and do parents KNOW what that does to a child? Maybe the parent(s) don't know anything different, but still!
I HATE waiting for the bus and overhearing conversations at a "loud volume" where it is impossible to avoid them.....and every fifth word or so is a derogatory or swear word! It isn't edifying!
Sometimes it makes me wish I had a "beeper" to "bleep" out the bad words so I didn't have to hear them!
And I wish I could also "bleep out" the harsh ways that people gossip about other people when they aren't present!!
But it is a world that is lost that I live in..and I remind myself that I can't expect them to live like believers when they aren't...but it is hard sometimes!!!!
So again a few questions for all of us--myself included--because unfortunately and honestly, I DO slip sometimes-----more than I want to admit! Ugggggg!!!
1) Does how I communicate in general reflect Jesus Christ to believers? To the World that is always watching?
2) Would Jesus say the words I say (or think) when I am just talking....mad.....or frustrated????
3) How much of my "negative vocabulary" is a habit that I need to ask for Jesus' help to stop?
4) In what ways do I talk about others that does not edify or build them up, whether they are present or not?
5) How would I feel if I overheard someone talking about me the way I talked about such and such (put a name in) a person?
6) Am I thinking that how I talk in sometimes "improper ways" (be it gossip, a bad word, or whatever) is "okay" because my culture says it is, instead of evaluating it from God's perspective?? And Therefore, am I fitting into "my culture" or "the world" without even thinking??
7) Does what I say TRULY benefit others?
Lord, help us ALL!!
Ephesians 4:29 "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."